[VHFcontesting] HamIM - Re: Fw: APRS while roving

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] HamIM - Re: Fw: APRS while roving
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:39:34 -0800 (PST)
From: Mike McCarty <kb8yhv@amsat.org>

>> No, HamIM has always been legal.  The difference is normal APRS uses
 the
>> Internet - I can go to findu.com during the contest to get your
 location to
>> try to work you.  Until now you couldn't use APRS this way because
 normally
>> you can't use non-Amateur Radio means (Internet) to solicit contacts
 during
>> the contest.  HamIM doesn't use the Internet - anyone within simplex
 range
>> on 147.585 gets a position report they can plot on a map.  That's
 really
>> not any different than me telling you my grid square is EN52vj on 432
 SSB
>> so you can point your 1296 beam better.

 You got all that from reading the rules?  Somebody's going to have to
 send me the decoder ring...
Chris is right.  HamIM (originally called "BEACONet") is APRS with a modified
configuration that makes it play nice by ARRL contest rules.  I spent a *lot*
of effort making sure.  Eventually, it got got public approval from the ARRL
Contest desk.  For more information on HamIM, visit: http://tinyurl.com/2t68hf

Regards,
Ev, W2EV
(author of the HamIM strategy)