[VHFcontesting] Rebuilding the K9ZF/ R Rover station,progress report

To: VHF Contesting eMail Remailer <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Rebuilding the K9ZF/ R Rover station,progress report
From: Dan Evans <dan.evans@insightbb.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 01:21:49 -0500
Group,

Along with debating rules changes, I’ve been making some major strides
in rebuilding the K9ZF /Rover station.

6 meters

Worked pretty well the last time out. I am running 100 watts from my
FT897D into a Par stressed Moxon. I picked up a used 3 element yagi, but
I’m not likely to use it for the Rover. I don’t think the improvement
would be enough to offset the logistical problems created by the bigger
antenna. So currently I’m planning to stick with the Moxon.

2 meters

Last time out I was only getting around 30 watts into my 10 element
yagi, due to some voltage drop in my 12 volt lines. I’ve made some
significant changes for next time. I replaced my 12 volt line with a 12’
run of 4 awg cable directly from the battery. This has solved the
voltage drop. I’ve also added a 160 watt brick. This should give me a
significant amount of extra punch on 2.

432

Last time out was a real struggle. I was only getting about 10 watts out
into an 11 element yagi. And, understandably, I missed several QSO’s.
Next time will be different. Thanks to Jerry, W9FS, I’ve added a 100
watt brick and an 18 element yagi. Another huge improvement.

The future

I’m happy with these three bands for now. I hope to get back on 222
next, although it may be awhile. And, of course, APRS in time.

Now the bad news. It looks like I will have to go on a business trip for
two weeks in January. Yep, looks like I may be out of town for the VHF
Sweepstakes… Does anyone in the El Paso area need an extra op? hi hi:-)

So how is your planning going?

73
Dan
--