Re: [VHFcontesting] Fishing - Was: Negative comments

To: Ray J <ray@w9ray.org>, VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Fishing - Was: Negative comments
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:29:07 -0800 (PST)
--- Ray J <ray@w9ray.org> wrote:

> How is seeing the rovers location on a map, by any means.
> Helping you to solicit a contact in any way shape or
> form????

It would be like going fishing and dropping your hook into
the water only after you know for sure that the fish is
really there and is hungry (because the fish has told you
so). Might just as well go to the store and buy the fish all
cleaned and ready to eat.

Those who fish by reading the WX (reading propagation condx),
keep track of where the fish usually bite (past contest
experiences), using their fish finders properly
(bandscopes/panadapters/fast rotators), and throw lots of
hooks into the water (calling CQ) whether they know for sure
there's fish to bite or not are more like the historical
contest operating behavior of just getting on the bands and
sweeping them and calling CQ. They don't say to the fish
"just tell me when you are ready, OK".

> Wouldn't looking at printed map that a rover emailed you a
> "use of non-Amateur Radio means" .. That paper did not come
> spitting of of your fancy YaeIcoTenWood radio.. If you are
> looking at it during the contest period, that is clearly
> "use of non-Amateur Radio means of communication"

That's more akin to knowing that there are fish in the lake
only because the DNR has stocked it. But while knowing that,
it is only a small amount of information that is by no means
any indicator that you will actually catch any. Those who
post their schedules via email or other means before the
contest are often notoriously inaccurate. Real-time spotting
is dead on accurate. So if I can know exactly when someone is
in a grid and active then why would/should I waste my time
CQ'ing or sweeping the bands??

And If nobody's calling CQ then how will those who don't use
spotting, and that just happened to be around, and just
happen to be in an enhanced long haul DX signal path will
ever work  anyone other than a few locals???

> the rule 3.10 should be deleted/altered to allow
> anything... As long as the simplex RF contact is made using
> stated contest exchanges on the band of interest. who the
> heck cares if i had to call,write,email,text, instant
> message or jump in front of the rover when he is driving
> by, to make it happen, the qso's are still being made on
> the air...Just because there's non-Amateur Radio means of
> communication used does not guarantee a good qso/points..

But I'm convinced the dependency on spotting (that will
evolve by allowing it) will lessen the amount CQ'ing that
goes on in most VHF+ contests. Detailed announced schedules
for rovers already tend to do this. Many a time I hear fixed
stations in  regions specifically looking for / chasing
rovers grid by grid but not doing any general CQ'ing in
between. And if they happen to hear me CQ then it often
startles them like "what?, where did he come, he wasn't
'scheduled' to pop up just now..". Real-time spotting will
only exasperate this growing trend of waiting to only try and
make the Q's only when it is sure that someone is there to
work.

In some ways it's like the ongoing HF contesting arguments
about packet assisted vs. unassisted. The top scoring
unassisted ops will more often than not say that they can do
better score wise without any assistance. Why? Because they
are "working the bands", not just waiting for the known Q's
to be ready for them. On HF however the reduced amount of
CQ'ing caused by spotting use isn't that big of a deal
because the bands are full of ops and signals anyhow. But if
on VHF+ people stop calling CQ it would be a disaster to VHF
contesting in general. There's not enough CQ'ing already.

Duane
N9DG