Re: [VHFcontesting] My rover antenna upgrade plan

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] My rover antenna upgrade plan
From: James Shyrigh <kc8jpz@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 04:35:03 -0800 (PST)
If you have a fence supply company in the area I would recommend taking a trip
to their yard. I work for a distributor of fence products and we carry a ton of
different pipe and tubing. I made a 30' collapsible mast that holds my 3
element 6 meter beam, 11 element on 2m and 18 on 70cm with no guying. Its a bit
of a bear to push it up by hand. A portable 12v winch would have no problem
pulling it up.The sections are 12' long and sleeve into each other 2'. I use
bolts to hold them in place. Most of the time I only use 2 sections. The bottom
is actually  10' then the next is  12'. The top section is considered 1 5/8"
od. The mid section is considered 2" od. and the bottom is 2 1/2" od.

Here are a few photos.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1133/528379528_d00b91f156_b.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/151/429883456_989cdf924a.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/179/429881400_6dee430eb6.jpg

All my other ham pics here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/spline/

73
Jim-KC8JPZ

k4gun@comcast.net wrote: I like that a lot.  That's pretty much what I'm going
for.  You don't have the upper portions guyed do you?

This is actually giving me other ideas about perhaps changing to rigid conduit,
going taller with 4 sections and keeping all 4 on a single mast.  I'll see what
I can figure out.

Thanks.

Steve

From: Dan Evans