Re: [VHFcontesting] 902 MHz DEMI XVTR help fixing a PA spurious problem

To: "Mike & Becca Krzystyniak" <k9mk@flash.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 902 MHz DEMI XVTR help fixing a PA spurious problem
From: kb7dqh@donobi.net
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 16:40:22 -0800 (PST)
Its the PF0011 power module.  That thing had horrendous internal gain, and
may need much additional bypassing of all the DC, shield can added, etc...
I "stabilized" mine by loading the input with a wire run parallel to the
input stripline, connected at the input pin. Still get 8W out, but no
pesky oscillation.

Might try a big block of absorber over the input end of the power module...
Couldn't hurt...

The "low power" 150W Motorola cell amps WILL oscillate if operated with
the cover off!  If absolutely necessary to operate this amp with the cover
off, take precautions against oscillations destroying the PA... Monitor DC
drive with no RF applied, power out, and make sure it is connected to a
GOOD LOAD...  Trust me, if tinkering and you set up a feedback path by
mistake, it will take off on you!

Eric
KB7DQH