Re: [VHFcontesting] VHFcontesting Digest, Vol 62, Issue 13 Roving

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHFcontesting Digest, Vol 62, Issue 13 Roving
From: "Jack Isenberg" <ihi@frontiernet.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:15:17 -0500
Anthony,

John's advice is good.  I expect it might be different a bit from different
areas of the country or even county to county.  However,
my experience is similar to John's.  I have stopped many places along the
side of the road or in rest areas and never had any problems in daylight.
Have talked a couple of times to "the men in blue" (cops) in the evening
hours, but after checking my ID they said everything is fine.

checking out all sites before going is really good advice.  I have been
surprised by unexpected tall trees, locked and chained private roads, low
overhanging branches, closed toll roads, and even an occasional hostile
farmer, etc.

Some parks and even private mountaintops are very cooperative, but do check
in advance.  It helps if you have a write up of the public service
aspects of amateur radio.

You might want to look at my web site for some more ideas (nothing in there
about midwestern sites though).

http://www.frontiernet.net/~ihi/

73 and lots of luck

Jack