Re: [VHFcontesting] Can of worms (formerly Contesting ethics for rovers)

To: Bill Olson <callbill@hotmail.com>, <kb7dqh@donobi.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Can of worms (formerly Contesting ethics for rovers)
From: k4gun@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 02:06:30 +0000
OK... as usual, I missed a couple of critical points before opening my big
mouth.  I think I read the rule quite differently than it is intended.  I read
that only one station was allowed per "rover vehicle" but that rule carried the
exception for families.  I took that to mean that another station and callsign
could be operated from within a single "rover vehicle".  If two stations are
operating with distinct callsigns and each individual is not involved with
operating the other station, other than sharing space within a truck, I didn't
realize that they could not make QSOs with each other.  I assumed (love that
word!) that in the absence of specific language against it, each station within
the "rover vehicle" could have distinct equipment and if there is separate
equipment, why not use it to have a QSO with the other person in the truck.

That seemed rather unsporting to me, hence the former title of the discussion.
If a husband and wife who both have licenses and both are participating in a
contest and are following what I thought to be the letter of the rules, they
could do just that.  The rules seem to even allow one person to do nothing more
than take an HT to the other side of a parking lot to complete FM contacts only
with the other person in the vehicle and that would be the only contacts that
person would make.

If there are two distinct sets of gear in a vehicle, capable of transmitting on
the same bands and using separate antennas, they wouldn't even need to get out
of the vehicle.  Simply turning on attenuators and reducing power to minimum
would work.  Remember that there is no specific distance requirement.  It is
only required that equipment be "capable" of transmitting at least a kilometer.

Am I reading this wrong?  I actually hope I am.  Somebody used the term
"private grid dancer" in describing this situation.  If its legal, I'm opposed
to it, but the way I read the rules, I think its allowed.

Steve

From: Bill Olson <callbill@hotmail.com>