Re: [VHFcontesting] Contesting ethics for rovers

To: jcplatt1@mmm.com, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Contesting ethics for rovers
From: aduhawk@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 14:11:35 +0000
Here's my two cents worth.  Pat, K9ILT and I resurrected family roving in the
upper midwest in 1999.  We worked many contests as family rovers until, late on
the Thursday night before the  2005 September Contest it was announced that the
practice would no longer be allowed.

The concern expressed directly to me was that family roving, when added to pack
roving could effect the outcome of a contest.  The new rule changes allow the
practice.  We will rove again as a family in the future.

We run six and sometimes seven bands from the car and have one several
certificates for section and division finishes.  There have been a couple of
top ten finishes.  When roving as a family while running and gunning through
nine or so grids your scores will be lower because it takes more time for two
people to make contacts -- especially on the higher bands.  Our scores have
never been identical.  Conditions can change rapidly and over the course of a
weekend and you can count on missing a few QSOs that the other one gets.

One could bring along a few HTs and have a much higher score by picking up
multipliers by having the family members work each other.  Pat and I NEVER
worked each other not one time not ever.  For us, it didn't pass the smell
test.  We didn't think that it was fair to the other participants.

There aren't any guys out there in striped shirts, so we have to police
ourselves, and for the most part -- especially on VHF+ I think that we're
pretty darn good about it.

73, Tim, K0PG
From: jcplatt1@mmm.com