[VHFcontesting] Tropo + E skip = What a morning!

To: <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Tropo + E skip = What a morning!
From: "John Geiger" <aa5jg@lcisp.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 02:20:21 -0000
The Sunday morning of the VHF contest was the first time I have caught tropo
plus Es on 2 meters at the same time!  It definitely paid off having 6m and
2m on separate radios so I could listen to both at the same time. I knew the
MUF was high when I heard K5YY in EM26 booming in on 6m Es and when I worked
W5KI in EM36 on 6m for a new grid.  I was in the process of working W4WA on
6m when I suddenly hear K8TQK calling CQ on 144.200.  I have worked him
enough before to know he is in Ohio. I finish with W4WA as quickly as
possible and get K8TQK with no problem-he was hitting S9 at time.  It was
just as much of a thrill to hear my friend Mike, WD5USA, work him on 2m as
that was his first 2 meter Es ever.

Shortly after that the tropo appeared to the north as WQ0P was coming in
from EM19. Worked him on 2m and 432 for a new grid on each band.
Unfortunately, there wasn't many other stations to the north of me.  Signals
to the other directions were pretty much at the normal level.

Still, Es and tropo in one morning!  What more could you want for Father's
Day?  How about finally reaching the goal of VUCC on 6m in one contest?  Did
that also with 107 grids worked on 6m.  Overall, my best VHF contest score
ever!

73s John AA5JG
(ex: W5TD, NE0P)
EM04to-Lawton, OK