Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF/UHF Weak Signal Resources

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF/UHF Weak Signal Resources
From: jcplatt1@mmm.com
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:34:45 -0500
Hi Kelly, great questions.  UHF and microwave isn't for those who are
looking for a good rag chew at any hour of the day, thats for sure.  It is
a different type of challenge with its own rewards that is hard to explain
and frankly, may not be for everyone.   I explain to my HF DX friends the
thrill of working into Ohio on 3456, or the excitement of hearing "roger
roger" on a 600km rain scatter contact on 5.7 or 10 GHz and their eyes sort
of glaze over.  I have VHF (6m/2m) only friends who have absolutley no
interest in trying anything above 2m because "there is no one up their to
work".   Each to their own.

Probably the best way for a newbie to get into VHF/UHF/uW's above 6m is
through a local VHF weak signal club (not a FM club).  Weak signal clubs
often have their own email reflectors that can be a huge source for local
Q&A, along with monthly meetings, etc, etc, and are very supportive and
welcoming of newbies.   Clubs are often the focus point of activity for
some of the more specialized contests like the EME, 10 GHz & Up, and
perhaps UHF contest, and they also "pull together" during the main VHF
contests to generate an aggregate club score.   Sometimes they may have a
loan rig or two, or a spare antenna, to help you try out a new band.

Based on your call perhaps the San Bernardino Microwave Society is close to
you.   My recommendation .... join a weak signal VHF club.   You may also
want to look into attending a VHF weak signal conference such as Central
States (www.csvhfs.org), Microwave Update
(http://www.microwaveupdate.org/), or perhaps one more local to your area.
You can learn a lot in a short time at a conference.

73, Jon
W0ZQ

             "Kelly Johnson"
             <n6kj.kelly@gmail
             Sent by:                  vhfcontesting@contesting.com
             vhfcontesting-bou                                          cc
             nces@contesting.c
             om                                                    Subject
                                       [VHFcontesting] VHF/UHF Weak Signal
                                       Resources
             06/18/08 04:10 PM

All this talk today about 6m dominance in the June VHF contest has me
thinking about something.

I've wanted to put up 2m, 432, and 1296 yagis for several years, but
it's been hard to motivate myself to do it.  Instead, I spend my time
in the summer on 6m chasing grid squares.  My concern about the higher
bands is lack of activity.  I've never found much activity up there
outside of the contests (at least on my vertical).  How would a newbie
get started in weak signal work above 6m?  How would I connect with
others in my area that do the same?  I don't know anybody that does
this.