Re: [VHFcontesting] Limited Roving

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Limited Roving
From: Dave Agsten <w4txs@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 17:23:55 -0700 (PDT)
The use of APRS by rovers to ONLY indicate what grid they were currently in,
without conditions, was basically shot down by the ARRL when they announced
their "new" VHF Contesting rules. It was really a joke, allowing multi-op
stations to use APRS to locate rovers. Anyone else who did the same was then to
be put into a multi-op or assisted category. That was a real head-in-the-sand
decision and one of the reasons I quit roving for the ARRL contests. The use of
APRS would benefit both a rover and a fixed station but I guess making more
contacts in the contest is not a concern of the Newington Regime. Shouldn't the
end result of actually making a contact and exchanging the info required the
primary consideration?

73,
Dave N8AG