[VHFcontesting] CQ-VHF Results

To: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, "Alabama Contest Group" <acg@alabamacontestgroup.org>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] CQ-VHF Results
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:07:41 -0500
Let me end the suspense now. I didn't win the contest. With less than 30
contacts, and a score under 1,000 points, I doubt seriously than I won Shelby
County. Heck, the guy down the street sending CW with his garage door opener
may have scored higher. Hard to say.

The issues here were two fold: Noise---and generally poor band conditions. One
of my neighbors decided to try out some new power tool, gadget, whatever, and
it brought noise levels up on both two and six meters across a fairly wide part
of the azimuth circle. One of the problems with having short antennas is that
they also have wide beamwidths, noise killers they ain't.

The noise was already present with the contest started on Saturday, disappeared
around 10PM, and then reappeared on Sunday morning about 10am. Nothing in the
DSP toolbox would help...so I just had to live with it. Even took a drive
around in that general direction, looking for the offender, but couldn't see
anything obvious...

Conditions were poor in general. Saturday brought one brief six meter opening,
allowing some signals from the NE to be worked. Other locals with much larger
antennas, and amplifiers reported similar results. Two meters was a little
better, but not much. Sunday morning brought some nice scatter levels, but no
real openings.

The highlight of the weekend was working K0HA, Stewart for a new grid and state
on six meters, and picking up two new grids on 2 Meters. One via JT6M, and the
other on Meteor Scatter. Another thrill was working Rex, W5RCI on CW to pick up
a new grid on 432.

As a fitting tribute to the contest weekend, while driving my family for a well
deserved meal on Sunday night, we were tuning the FM dial, and heard one of the
local radio stations playing Christmas music. After sitting through "I'm
dreaming of a White Christmas" and "Winter Wonderland", we heard a promo
announcing the station was doing a special, "Christmas in July" promotion. Ah,
ha! I have them to blame for these December like conditions!

Still a lot of fun, and great to hear folks on the bands. Can't wait till the
UHF contest!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf