[VHFcontesting] rover bashing

To: <w4txs@yahoo.com>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] rover bashing
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 09:02:21 -0700
Please don't confuse these threads with rover bashing.
Most rovers don't do things like this on a large scale and if they do they
don't post it for us all to see and thus invite a conversation like this.

Ev is right it is a matter of Honnor and I might add integrity.

I thought the fix would make things better, but not really.

The controversial thing is "team roving" and they tried to fix it by creating a
"unlimited" class.

I was dumb enough to assume that team roving would be contained in into this
class.  They were smart enough to form a team of 3 differnt types of rovers and
a undocumented rover  and travel together and likely win all three classes.

The VUAC said they are moving on to other things.  I hope they look back.  I
suppose its like me as an electrican trying to fix a machine. I cant do one
thing to troubleshoot a long standing problem, declare "mission acomplished"
and walk away without seeing the results of my efforts.

I think its been demostrated well in this contest.  They failed to contain a
team effort to the unlimited catagory.

I too thought of work arounds that could be done but would never choose to do
so in efforts to let the issue die under the ARRL's efforts to change the rules
and address the issues. I suppose thats why society has so many laws because
people look for loop holes.

They could of done a better fix by not counting rover to rover contacts (A
Nuclear option)
Limiting rover to rover (except unlimited)  to 10 percent of your multipliers
and qsos as well as 100 contacts.
Forbiding obvious team roving outside of the unlimited class, this means some
log scrutiny by an all ready stressed arrl staff.
Something else not mentioned... who knows?

I thought the intent of the new rules and comprimise would be followed. It
looks like some of were mistaken by what the intent was.