[VHFcontesting] facts based on my own log

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] facts based on my own log
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 23:48:05 -0700
Here is a fair comparison from my own log

In 2006 I posted a 70,000 score as a rover with no team mate.  In this effort I
worked 603 QSOS form 170 plus unique calls with 81 multipliers of which 66 came
from QSOS and 15 from me activating grids.

I was a 7 band Rover who activated 15 grids.  If I  built and paid for a 2nd
3rd or 4th rover like my competitors with 7 bands I would of  guaranteed myself
105 grids by working my partners in the same grid.  Of the 66 grids I worked 28
are from grids I did not visit therefore I would have had 38 unique grids plus
the 105 from my partners for 143 grids.

As I grid circled with my partners I would of received 7 x 16 or 112 contacts
per grid exchange.  For 15 grids this would be 336 plus 63 qsos or 399 QSOs,
averaged at 2 points a piece.

Therefore my score would  of been approximately 1401 points x 143 grids for
approximately 200 K points.  If  I had 2 partners it would be 2200 contacts x
143 grids for 314k points.

If I added 3 more bands it goes up much more.  If I add the 4th member it goes
up. Pretty soon we are at one million points and 2/3 of my logged qsos comes
fom my own equipment.

This is why there is a difference between team roving and non team roving.  If
the ARRL does not fix it they are limiting completive activities because it is
unrealistic for all of us to form teams to be competitive.   The intent was to
divide the 2 practices so we are ALL encouraged to participate.

k3uhf