Re: [VHFcontesting] controversy

To: <nlrs@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] controversy
From: "Joe Serocki" <joeserocki@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 00:04:42 -0500
I agree with these guys.

Hey, can someone look over these pix and offer any suggestions? I have to
pull a trailer with a 5k generator on it, that small one under the tub won't
even power one rig much less two with amps. It was a nice idea, but too
small. Anyway, the pix are at http://home.comcast.net/~joeserocki/rover/.

I am also interested in power suggestions. The power supply I am using
offers 35 amps at 14v. Nearly 500 watts. With 25 amps being pulled by the
radios, 350 watts, the generator cannot keep up. Since this is an analog
supply, let's assume 50% efficiency, meaning it is sucking up 700 watts. The
generator is rated at 850 watts. 850 watts for what, until it explodes? It
drops to 100 volts at anything over 500 watts load, and that's not like it
is unregulated, it tries to speed up but does not have the kahunas to keep
up. So back to the statement, what recommendations for generators do you all
have? I don't really want to pull the 5k, but she is nice and quiet and
powerful, so maybe I should leave well enough alone. But it sure would be
nice to have a smaller (2-3k) generator that was light enough to put on the
back of the van in the rack rather than deal with another trailer.

In case you are wondering, I don't like to run off the vehicle. It is not
regulated at all well, and does not provide 14v like the power supply does.
Add to that one of my amps requires 24v, but that's neither here nor there.
Besides with 110v I can keep a small fridge in there :)

73
N9IFG