Re: [VHFcontesting] W1RT Aug UHF

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] W1RT Aug UHF
From: "Carrington, Walter" <Walter.Carrington@umassmed.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 11:36:25 -0400
W1RT said "heading to Above All State Park in
FN31 north of Danbury a ways to check out the site and play for a few hours"
I operated a VHF contest portable from Above All Mountain in the early 60s
using a 2 meter Gonset Communicator (~5W out, AM + a CW mod). I don't remember
my score,  but I had a great time.  I went there to check the site out.  I
stopped at the nearest house to ask about operating on top and they let me use
their garage and electricity for the contest,  fed me dinner,  really nice
people.  In those days there was some kind of military radar tower on the top
and it wasn't a state park.
       It should be a great contest location if you can get above the trees (it
still looks forested in the satellite view).  Except for NW to North, it's a
long, long way to anything higher (i.e., to the west, the Catskills).  The
satellite view shows some sort of building at the top of the hill, next to the
park.  I wonder if there is still a tower there?
       It may not be a great rover spot because it's kind of out of the way on
slow roads (google maps says 53 min to I84 in Danbury).  Mohawk Mountain may be
a better location,  but is a bit further out of the way.
       Have fun there.
--Walter, K1CMF