[VHFcontesting] 902.01

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 902.01
From: <dfmich@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 11:18:11 -0400
Jon...I would be interested to know the details of the cavity filter you are
using. Always looking for something better than what I am using. Is the
design published anywhere?

Dan K9EA

Hi Zack.  Most of us in the Twin Cities run a cavity filter ahead of any
902 receiver or preamp .... its mandatory as the 900 spectrum is VERY RF
intensive.   Without the cavity my RF front end is saturated and I only
hear a S5 noise floor.  Add the cavity filter ahead of any preamp and the
noise floor drops and suddenly you can hear inband "beeps and boops" along
with the occasional baby monitor, etc.   Yes, you pay a slight penalty in
terms of NF, but without it the band is indeed useless.   Even roving, even
moving through the rural country, I have found areas that seem to desense
my 902, so I have added a cavity to that as well.   Its wonderful to be
able to hear !

73, Jon
W0ZQ