[VHFcontesting] new rover

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] new rover
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 22:52:21 -0700
Les,

I would go with a headache rack mounted to your truck. ON the headache rack,
mount pipes that you can slip masts into.  I did this on my new rover set up.
You can put up a few masts and hold several antennas.

I started out with an arrow antenna for 2 meters and 432.  A 6 meter di-pole
ect…
I refined it to long yagis on all the bands.  In fact I vertically stacked 2 ¼
wavelength yogis on 2 meters and 2 horizontally stacked 15’ yagis on 432.
I found the horizontal antennas gave me more power, but I missed a lot of qsos
because I had a flame thrower.
I have all the TE high power amps on 6- 432 as well.
I have since backed down on the long yagi principle.
For one, long yagis de tune each other in less space than short yagis.
They are more awkward to set up or maintain.
This change of behavior began when I had to use an elk antenna in a emergency
situation. I made 200-300 mile qsos on a 2 foot antenna about 10 inches off the
roof of the truck.  This is when a pair of cubex antennas failed miserably.
So I bought another elk antenna for 432 and I roved with a vertically stacked
pair. I see more qsos in my logs with these antennas.  I think it is because I
had a poorer front to back ratio.  I also run with stacked M2 loops on 2- 432
and a single loop on 6 meters. These serve as back ups and I run with them when
I’m on a high plain and I am driving.  Usually I end up hearing some noise,
flip the antenna switch and aim at noise to work someone. The loops will do 400
miles when I’m at 8000 feet in elevation.
Anyway this is where I built to. Basically have a back up antenna for each band
and leave them up there if you can.  However, make them quick to take down if
you go under a log canopy of trees.
This year I am bringing back the 6 meter moxon and I am going to switch between
that and the loop.
The moxon is a Par.  It is at 13’ I did keep the 11 element beam for 2 meters,
mainly to draw the attention from far away stations who will turn there beams
towards me and then I can try them on the smaller antennas.
I suppose If I had no amps, I would leave 8’ beams up there instead of the
short ones.

Long story short, plan it so you can break it down in a couple of hours. Make
it strong to with stand trees in motion. So you don't waste time putting it up
and down in the contest. But make it where it comes apart quick if you plan on
climbing forrest covered mountains.

Good luck
Frank
K3uhf