[VHFcontesting] First time keeping score in the contest...

To: <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] First time keeping score in the contest...
From: "Larry" <n1miw@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 23:32:27 -0400
     Well gang, I've handed out points in the past, and always wanted to be
a contester, but this is the first contest I have given thought to actually
keeping track of my score. I don't really have a good location (live on the
downside of a high hill), low antennas (all are below the treetops), and no
time to dedicate to any contest exclusively (a 2 year old girl, and a 10
month old boy... and the XYL who doesn't understand the hobby, of course!),
but I did manage to operate for the last 5 hours or so. Below is how I did
from FN41eq...

6M = 11
2M = 11
222 = 6
432 = 6
1296 = 0 (need to change this next time!)
Total different grids = 7
FINAL SCORE = 322
BEST DX = FN33 on all 4 lower bands(~233 KM)

     I think part of my problem was the fact that I did the "hunt and
pounce", but need to learn how to "pounce" better - heard a station in FM19
on 222, but he was in the middle of working someone else and lost him while
changing bands. I also think it may be better to turn the dial a bit, then
sit on a frequency a bit, then repeat. There is a technique on what to do, I
just need to figure out what it is! Nevertheless, I did have fun. I think I
know where some of my station improvements are as well, but they must wait
until I get a better location. Ahhh, the joy of V/U/SHF! It can only get
better from here on out. Oh yeah, conditions seemed nil here too. Hope to
work someone in the Sprints!   73's... Larry