[VHFcontesting] 1296 station improvement

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 1296 station improvement
From: "maded" <maded@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 08:43:36 -0400
I recently joined an area 1.2GHz group that I am really enjoying, but my
10W station is limiting.

I am new to 1296 and would like to upgrade my station. As many of you
have years of experience with weak signals, I would appreciate your
input.

I am using the following on 1296:
 Radio: Icom IC-910H with 1296 module (10W)
 Cable: approximately 47 feet of 1/2" hardline with 10 feet of LMR 400
around the rotator
 Antenna: Directive Systems 2325LY (25 el loop yagi) 17dBi mounted 10
feet above a 2 1/2 story house

I am considering a mast mounted preamp installed where the hardline
joins the LMR400 and also a sequencer (with an amp to follow at a later
date).

Any recommendations?
Would I be better off with SSB Electronics or Downeast Microwave (or
maybe another brand)?

Thanks.

Ed (W2SN)