Re: [VHFcontesting] 6 meter antenna

To: "Christopher S Peightal" <peightalhead@msn.com>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 6 meter antenna
From: Bob Cumming <w2bzy@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 21:13:46 -0500
Chris

I've had a 6M7JHV up here in Central Florida for over 9 years with no
problems!  The reason I chose the 6M7JHV over the 6M7 is weight.

Initially I had it on a Rohn 25 tower with a Hazer atop a 12' mast
with a KLM KT34.  The wind load was near the limit of the Hazer.

Now I have it mounted on a US Tower TMM541 with a 20' Chromoly 2"
mast (1/4" wall), a M2 2M5WL at the top, then the 6M7JHV 42" below
the top antenna, then the KT34 66" below the 6M7JHV and lastly
another 2M5WL 60" below the KT34.

They all sing well and I have had no problems with wind here in
Central Florida.  It has been through 4 Hurricanes, numerous tropical
storms and many, many thunderstorms with no damage.  I have upgraded
the KT34 to the newer KT34M2 using the Mod kits after losing one the
Plastic Boom to Element insulators during Hurricane Charlie.

As to performance I have 677 grids worked (608 confirmed) in  88
countries and 49 States confirmed (I keep missing the openings to KH6).

VRY 73
Bob Cumming
W2BZY
QRV 160M - 9CM + 3CM (5760 next)