Re: [VHFcontesting] Why "Unlimited"

To: k4gun@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Why "Unlimited"
From: kb7dqh@donobi.net
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 01:27:17 -0800 (PST)
I believe, "largely ignored" because the "unlimited rover" category is so
new that few in the VHF contesting community have actually built up a
station that can support operation on many bands simultaneously while in
motion or moved easily from one grid to another within the contest
period...

My station was built  to demonstrate this possibility, and normally functions
as a "non-circling" entity.

Until the rule change, I couldn't run the station with all positions
manned and send in a log because it exceeded the limitations placed on the
rover category as it existed at the time.

However, I could run as an Unlimited Multioperator, as long as I didn't
move the station into another grid square!!!

As such, I lobbied long and hard for the creation of an Unlimited Rover
category...

I didn't run in the June event due to illness... Didn't want to give my cold
to a bunch of others, so stayed home and played there as best I could from
my crummy, negative HAAT home QTH.

Yes, in the January 2008 VHF test I was the ONLY one out... battled some
intermittent equipment failures, 300 miles of snow-covered roads, terrible
propagation,
less-than-expected participation, moving thru 5 Northern
California/Southern  Oregon  grids with NO QSO's in the log, and had one
of the best contest experiences of my life, despite the high Diesel
prices!

My biggest concern in this whole discussion is the unintended consequence of
"coordinated operations" versus "un-coordinated" operations.

If some rover sees a published "route" for another rover and emulates this
operation, and happens to work this other rover a number of times, does
this constitute a "pack"???

This is where I have a "problem" with limiting the number of QSO's with
another rover station to some arbitrary number, unless the formula for
determining
this rule can be made to be understandable to the participants without
unecesarily modifying the "normal" behavior of "uncoordinated" rovers who
happen across other rovers during the contest.

So I propose a mathematical solution... Change how ALL contestants get
scored.  This would mean breaking the records at the point of introduction
but might solve a great number of problems at once.

Rather than taking the total QSO points per band and then multiplying by
the total number of multipliers to arrive at the final score,
 one merely
multiplies the QSO points for a given band by the number of unique grids
worked on that band,  then adds the band totals for a final score.

Has this been given any thought???

Eric
KB7DQH