[VHFcontesting] ARPS/ VUAC info

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] ARPS/ VUAC info
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 17:24:11 -0800
The VUAC also has an open issue with ARPS heres a copy of whats going on there.
I have a very good comunicator in my rep.
If you have a dog in this fight find out who your rep is and let him know what
you think.

As for me I don't understand why I need to let my wife know where I am at all
the time via my ham radio. The kids, cell phone, nieghbors, co-workers and Dog
all ready rat me out enough.

However I would use it as a rover if everyone could access the info while not
breaking the rules.

Heres a snip from another reflector:

VUAC has struggled with the recently implement rule allowing rovers to
self-spot with APRS. It was originally intended that all classes of operators
could use these spots during a contest; however, the ARRL Programs and Services
Committee (PSC), the actual rule-making authority, has twice cited General VHF
Rule 2.3.7 as prohibiting single-operator stations from using APRS spots. As a
result, only multi-operator stations are allowed to use APRS spots. This
creates problems in enforcement and the appearance of fairness. Changing VHF
General 2.3.7 is apparently not an option at this point. So, should APRS spots
continued to be allowed for multi-op stations but not single-op or should the
use of APRS be discontinued?