Re: [VHFcontesting] (Rover) What does N6NB et al say?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] (Rover) What does N6NB et al say?
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 05:46:42 -0800 (PST)
> Say, I'm enjoying the conversation and some of the
> creative ideas.  I tried to click on N6NB's link,
> but it wouldn't come up. Perhaps his site has been
> swamped--I don't know.

My take-away, based on...
http://commfaculty.fullerton.edu/woverbeck/rover.htm

Pgph 1-3: Wayne (and crew) roves because it is fun. What's fun to *them*?
Operating in Road Rally style (with grid-based checkpoints).  It is appealing
to a faction that wouldn't otherwise operate in a VHF contest. It takes
planning to get to 20+ grids over 1200 miles! It brings increased activity to
sparsely populated areas.

Paragraphs 4-5: The ARRL rules encourage the Road Rally concept: Drive fast,
reach a checkpoint, log-like-a-banshee, move on.  Others (non-Rovers) may not
like it, but that's the truth of the matter.

Paragraph 6-8: Despite rules changes, there are more Rovers than ever

Paragraph 9-17: Over the years, others have tried exploiting the Rover's
scoring advantage to benefit their own (varied) interests.  Despite several
rules changes, the enjoyment by Rovers and general agitation by non-Rovers
remains essentially the same.

Paragraph 18-end: An overview of the N6NB group's Road Rally based mobile
contest activities, along with some stunning pictures