Re: [VHFcontesting] (Rover) What does N6NB et al say?

To: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] (Rover) What does N6NB et al say?
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 07:13:07 -0600 (CST)
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Ev Tupis wrote:

> I continue to focus on the social aspect of Amateur radio.  The 10-GHz+
> contest is widely active in his region *because* is it a social event in
> which participants are encouraged to contact as many DIFFERENT stations as
> possible.
>
> Why the poor UHF activity in So. Cal?  Most likely because it lacks an aspect
> of social behavior.  There is much missing from his recap.  For
> instance...did he advertise ahead of his activity to let everyone know that
> he was coming through and to power-up?  That's what clubs do (and more) ahead
> of contests.  Did he publicly celebrate the event afterward in the community?
>  That's what clubs do afterward.

Interesting observations, Ev.  Coming up to the 10 GHz contest, a lot of
us in this area have an e-mail list where we start discussing our
operations at least a month ahead of time.  We talk abvout locations and
make plans. There were about 12 people lined up on the beach in Empire,
Michigan this September and I roved down Lake Michigan, working as many
as possible as well as other Rovers along the lake.

I see this happening to some extent on the other VHF contests but not to
the extent it happens in the 10 GHz contest. I know the NLRS is the same
way. A few of them tried to work me in August and one was successful over
a difficult path.

73, Zack W9SZ