Re: [VHFcontesting] Type N crimpers?

To: "'Jack'" <k6jeb@yahoo.com>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Type N crimpers?
From: "Tom Sneden, K6VCR" <k6vcr@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 18:41:24 -0800
RF Parts has several models...
http://www.rfparts.com/coax_accessories.html#die

-----Original Message-----
From: vhfcontesting-bounces@contesting.com
[mailto:vhfcontesting-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of Jack
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 1:38 PM
To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Type N crimpers?

Howdy,
I'm starting to gather the tools and materials I'm going to need to run my
coax out to my future tower site.  I've decided to go with Type N connectors
at the antenna end for the VHF-UHF runs.  Do any of you have a preferred
brand for the crimpers for Type N connectors?

I'm still getting past the idea that Type N connectors usually are not
soldered at the braid.  Are there some connectors better than others?

By the way, I'm using LMR-400 from DEM for the coax runs.  I'm still trying
to decide whether to run it through conduit along the eves of the house and
external building or to bury it (in which case I may opt for Bury Flex) in
some decent underground conduit.

---

I just joined this list yesterday so a tiny bit about me:

Having been a ham since 1983, I've definitely had a chance to check out many
aspects of this great hobby.  Contesting was something that I got into
almost right away.  I've since done a stint in the Army from 88-91
(stationed in Germany with a callsign of DA2UI), got out went to college,
and 25 years later, I keep company with some of the best contesters on the
planet (the NCCC).  My other radio interests include QRP/kit building,
DXing, antenna building, satellites, meteor scatter, and getting my wife
KI6FYW on the air whenever I can.  We both enjoy taking our dogs camping and
setting up wire antennas WAYYYYYY up in the tall trees of Northern
California (using a pneumatic antenna launcher by Alan, WB6ZQZ).

Hoping to get my system up and running in time for all the fun contests in
the VHF/UHF region.

73 (and KB to my fellow NCCCers)
Jack, K6JEB
www.k6jeb.com