Re: [VHFcontesting] DIstance Scoring for Contests

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com, G0MIC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] DIstance Scoring for Contests
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:18:17 -0800 (PST)
Thanks Malcolm very much for the link...

I spent some time reading the rules for the RSGB VHF+ contests that use
distance based scoring. I noted that serial numbering and signal reports are
part of the exchange. I'd be currious to know if people really do give
meaningful signal reports, or if it's just like a typical HF contest where
veryone is "59" no matter what their signal strength actually is?

And very interestingly I also did not find anything in the rules that describes
(allows?) the practice of roving between grid squares. Is that kind of
operating just not done, or is just not popular?

I also tried to find more information about some of the other VHF+ contests in
IARU Region 1. I so far have only found references to a contest simply called
"IARU Region 1 VHF Contest" which appears to be somewhat new. I have to believe
that there are other VHF contests in that part of the world which are designed
to encompass the entire EU continent and beyond. Is that true? And any links to
sponsors to them would be greatly appreciated.

Duane
N9DG