Re: [VHFcontesting] A distance scoring contest

To: Dan Evans <dan.evans@insightbb.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A distance scoring contest
From: James Duffey <JamesDuffey@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 20:15:17 -0700
On Feb 13, 2009, at 8:03 PM, Dan Evans wrote:

> I have worked scatter with FSK441 with the Rover setup many times.
> My usual setup on 2m is 10 element CC @ 20', with 160 watts.  This
> is pretty good up to 600 ~ 800 miles.
>
> Never considered EME, though.  It would seem to me trying to handle
> an H frame would be a setup nightmare.

Have you tried EME with that setup? If you an make a few EME contacts
on the setting and rising moon, that would be worthwhile. That is
probably 2 kW EIRP. Maybe Marshall can help tell us if that is EME
capable, at least with the better equipped EME stations.

> Being a solo Rover I always try to keep setup as simple as possible.
I agree. KISS is my principle. Virginia often roves with me, so I need
to ration and plan my mistakes carefully. :^)= Quick setup and tear
down is essential. When you are doing that you can't operate.

You think you are in a blak hole? Try the southwest. It is a desert
for both vegetation and RF. - Duffey

--
KK6MC
James Duffey