Re: [VHFcontesting] A distance scoring contest

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com, kkaufhold@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A distance scoring contest
From: Paul Kiesel <k7cw@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 09:26:33 -0800 (PST)
Hi Kevin,

I say let's not go on a cabin-fever, contest-renovation crusade! The
4-character grid locator multiplier system works just fine in the US and
Canada. We do not have high population densities as Europe has - a situation
that might otherwise merit consideration of a change in the structure of
contests. There is no need to recreate the wheel when the present system works
fine. No system is perfect and no system can be perfect in the VHF contests.
There are no major problems with using grid locators or the system would have
been scrapped long ago. Let's leave well-enough alone!

To those who might subconsciously think that making a change like this will
make it easier for you to win contests: It won't. The same people who have been
the leading scorers in the major contests would continue to be the leading
scorers. The reason is because they do whatever is needed to get the job done.
This is true regardless of the rules set.

73,
Paul, K7CW