[VHFcontesting] Looking for some West coast historical perspective

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Looking for some West coast historical perspective
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 18:06:26 -0800 (PST)
I have a question for the West coast ops in the same vein of my comment in my
post last night about the apparent "drop out" of the Great plains big guns
stations when grids became mults (BTW not even sure that is true). Did a
similar thing happen up and down the West coast? In my pre ham license days of
the late 70's I seem to recall reading in the QST contest write ups about some
significant efforts, multi op and otherwise in CA. It just doesn't seem like
that is being done as much as it was back then. Am I perceiving that correctly?
If so why do people think it happened? Was that just an unintended consequence
of using grids instead of sections as mults?

Duane
N9DG