[VHFcontesting] All Transmitters and Recievers in 500m circle

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] All Transmitters and Recievers in 500m circle
From: stanka1ze@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:16:51 -0500

> >Again...no other class of operation can do this.
> >Neither should Rovers be able to.
>
> Mike asks
> And why not ... I think the rules are quite simple the way
> they are.

Hey...you know what?!  I went looking and I stand corrected!  The *only* class
of participant that can't change their location within the same Grid-4 during a
contest is the QRP Portable class (WHY PICK ON THEM?!?!).  See: ARRL VHF rule
2.2.5.Single Operator Portable stations may not change locations during the
contest period outside of the original 500-meter diameter permitted circle.

I can't find any similar ARRL rule for any other class!

So...unless I've overlooked something, I rescind rule #3 leaving only "two
simple rules" to normalize rover scoring.

Ev, W2EV

Hi Ev es all,

I think the rule you were looking for was "General Rule 3.7". This rule directs
all stations to keep Tx/Rx within a 500 meter circle. While studying the rules
in anticipation of a portable contest operation I wanted to build a couple of
super stations in remote corners of the same grid. I always thought it would be
neat... However 3.7 didn't allow me to do it. Another interesting problem is
what to do with mobile stations trying to operate on the way to church Sunday
morning. They might not change grids so they are not classified as rovers. They
do not have all Tx/Rx within a 500 meter circle so, they will not qualify to be
SO, Portable.. See what I mean? They lack a category.

Stan, KA1ZE/3