[VHFcontesting] what is the future of our contests?

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] what is the future of our contests?
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:41:23 -0800
It had several points.  My main one was that it was funny.  Secondary one was
that the ARRl needs to put some judgment in it, either in the rules or by
overlooking the contest as refs. I’m for clear concise rules that fortify the
intent so you don't have to write intentions in the rules.  Otherwise we will
be bargaining and arguing until 2032.

I see a productive future as one that has several contests with different
rules.  What if there was a grid circling contest that let at home people work
the circlers, then the winners would be the ones who had the most home stations
working the circler’s .....right?

The path forward in contesting and vhf activity could be stimulated on finding
more ways to compete and other aspects to focus on.  If grid circling is done
honestly, then it does have operational skills of repetitive contacts under
ideal conditions. Such an activity was proven by the lunch group as a tool
expose new hams to repetative contacts.  I am not against this activity as I
was in 2004, I am against this activity winning so many different class entries
of the contests because it is different than what most rovers do.

There is a very active debate going on about distance scoring. But I think its
time for all people who thrive for the contest expirence to think of several
variations of contests to stimulate activity.  This is the only way to
productivly expand VHF contesting.  If there were 12 ARRL contests, the
controversy would not be so bad when grid circlers dominate 3 of the contests.

If they dominated all 12 then it would prove something, IE they can play the
fiddle, the guitar and the Banjo well.

Now that I got your attention with something funny, take time to think about it
for the next few months.  Do something that will get a young person involved.
I'm 38 and perhaps one of the youngest rovers.
To those who disagree and agree alike we have some comon ground and I wish you
73s'

Frank