[VHFcontesting] Questions on making a valid contest QSO.

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Questions on making a valid contest QSO.
From: James Duffey <JamesDuffey@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 16:35:04 -0600
Ron - You wrote:
"I am curious how many operators actually give both call signs in a
contest QSO 100% of the time?"

I suppose that you mean how many QSOs go like this:

CQ CQ KK6MC KK6MC
W4WA
W4WA KK6MC DM65
Roger KK6MC W4WA  EM84
Roger KK6MC QRZ?

Most of my QSOs go this way, and I try to do this exchange every time,
but when things get faster, I often default to:

CQ CQ KK6MC KK6MC
W4WA
W4WA DM65
Roger KK6MC W4WA  EM84
Roger KK6MC QRZ?
Which I think is still OK, but probably not optimum. When things get
really fast I have found my self doing thefollowing, which is not good:
KK6MC QRZ?
W4WA
W4WA DM65
Roger KK6MC W4WA  EM84
Roger QRZ?
So that both calls get sent for the first exchange, but without the
KK6MC attached to the QRA, the second QSO does not get my call. I
usually catch myself doing this and revert to a better format.
"Do you think giving both calls is necessary when calling CQ on the
same frequency for some lengthy period?"
Yes, but I guess as long as both parties know who was worked it is OK.
"What does the contest rules state that constitutes a legal contest
exchange?"
A quick review of the VHF rules sate is that the exchange is the grid
square. Of course you need both call signs to make it valid, but the
rules don't say you have to get them in the same exchange. - Duffey
--
KK6MC
James Duffey