[VHFcontesting] 222mhz Spring Results

To: "VHF Spring Sprints" <springsprintquestions@sysadnet.com>, "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222mhz Spring Results
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:01:44 -0500
3.5 Hours.

1 QSO

Best DX: 15 miles.

11 Elements @ 120 watts.

Comments: Complete lack of activity locally, and no enhanced propagation. Even
the regular contesters were missing. While I'm grateful for the organizers of
this event, I do think that the activity levels are a direct reflection of how
the effort has been managed over the past couple of years.

Results for last year's Sprints took nearly 10 months to compile and publish.
Dates for this year's Sprint's weren't even announced until a month or so ago.
And the late announcement date meant that amateur print publications such as
QST had no opportunity to get them published. Also, there was almost no
promotion in the greater contesting community.

In the end, national contests may simply be too much effort for one or two
hams, no matter how dedicated to tackle.

My hope is that one of the VHF/UHF organizations will consider sponsoring this
event again, and help elevate them to their former glory. The Sprint Sprints
offer a great opportunity for newcomers to try VHF contesting without devoting
large amounts of time to the effort. They also fill the important role of
giving hams a chance to exercise their stations, software, etc. before the
major events in the summer.

I'm planning to try my first rover operation during next week's 432 Event. I
just hope that some stations are on the air to work.

Again, my thanks to the organizers. I know it's a lot of work, and much of it
thankless. But we have to be realistic too...I think it's simply too much for
them.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf