[VHFcontesting] 222 Sprint

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Sprint
From: Phil Theis <phil@k3tuf.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:13:15 -0400
WA3UOE and I set out to rove in FN00xv last night in the pouring rain.
It rained all night (and today coming back).
I decided to use an SDR with a laptop without sufficient testing and it
ended up burning us.
I was only able to work 5 stations.  As soon as the radio was working
for a few minutes the application would freeze up.  Long story short, it
was the fact that the firewire port in the laptop was using the same
interrupt as everything else in the laptop.  I should have brought a
backup, and I should have tested the laptop before I took it out.
Should have
Should have
So that's why you didn't hear K3TUF/rover last night.
But on the bright side, Pat, WA3UOE has found a good site with great
elevation.  I heard stations to the west exceptionally, including
K8TQK.  I have never heard Bob so strong, but then I drove over 2 1/2
hours of mountains to get to this location;  I think that might have
something to do with it.
Pat (WA3UOE) plans to light up FN00 eventually with microwave
capability.  That is what my goal has been, to fill in that hole out
there since our friends W3SO won't go above 432.
I will be on the 432 sprint from home where it's dry.
Phil K3TUF