[VHFcontesting] Les: Dumbing down radio to the Nth Degree

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Les: Dumbing down radio to the Nth Degree
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 18:36:45 -0700
In some ways you guys are both right. However the guy (Les) smacking Gene’s
article may have taken to personally.  All of on WSJT are using Joe’s programs
and skills  to complete QSO’s otherwise less likely to complete.  Most of us
are using well designed and well engineered ham radios for vhf weak signal
work. The rest of us have Kenwoods and Alincos.

Most of us with Amplifiers are using someone else’s skill sets to power
antennas that for most of us are designed by Antenna engineers.  The skill
might come from the choices of upgrades, operating times, locations and
tenacity to get er’ done.

I can take Les’s accusations of Gene saying that WSJT is dumbing down the hobby
to the nth degree.  (I don’t think that’s what Gene meant.)

In taking it to the Nth degree. I once used my backyard engineering skills to
put pancake fans on my 400 watt TE amp and run her full bore into a stacked set
of loops to make 1300 mile qsos.  Mathematically  I could of done the same with
30 watts and a 11 element beam. But in my pure genius I decided to radiate
everything to find the meteors and qsos more quickly making qsos easier by
having only one station wagging their beams.  So in the Nth Degree I am an
operating genius using basic crap.  Therefore quicker contatcts could be
obtained in contests if stations used loops and more power from cooled
amplifiers.

I think Gene is saying much of the skill is integration of the station parts
you buy assemble and connect together.  Kyle Petty is no Automotive engineer,
he buys his car parts from them. He's not much of a driver either, but thats
for another Blog.

K3uhf