Re: [VHFcontesting] Digital mode planning and setup for this VHF contest

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Digital mode planning and setup for this VHF contest season
From: kb8u vhf <kb8u_vhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 02:05:28 +0000
I suggest sticking with WSJT and use the computer you have.  Use the usual
calling frequencies and U/D split frequency protocol for random contacts.  If
the PC clock is more than 3 or 4 seconds off then just set the clock manually
as needed if you can't improve it.  You probably won't miss many QSOs if the
clock is only a few seconds off.  Use WWV, your cell phone or a GPS to set the
time in the field.

Are you running linux?  Do you have ntpd configured correctly?  Barring wild
temperature variations or a seriously broken rtc, the drift file should
compensate for many hours of bering disconnected from the network.  I think
there's a decent version of ntpd available for Microsoft OSes, too, but I
haven't tried it.  See http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_nt_stable.
The stock MS ntp is pretty awful in my experience.  I don't think it has a
drift file.  On top of that, it tries non-existent or overloaded ntp servers by
default.  I'll be at the ARROW meeting next week if you want to discuss
configuring ntpd.

-Russ  KB8U