[VHFcontesting] VHF Simplex Test during June Contest Advice

To: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] VHF Simplex Test during June Contest Advice
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 14:51:32 -0500
In an effort to promote VHF contesting, the use of simplex for emergencies, and
provide a fun activity, I'm planning to encourage Alabama ARES to
conduct a "Simplex Test" on June 13th, sometime late in the afternoon for a two
hour period. Objective will be to allow stations to gauge the range of their
stations using simplex, encourage contacts with contest operators to show them
what's possible, and stimulate interest in VHF/UHF operations beyond just the
repeaters.

Some questions:

1. What frequencies would you recommend for 2 Meters, 222, and 432?
2. Exchange is grid squares obviously. I plan to use this to educate folks
about antenna polarization issues, and will also encourage some hill-top
operations to extend the range. I tried this last year, and many stations were
excited to work some of the "big gun" contesters at distances of 60 miles or
more.
3. Any suggestions on how to make this a better experience for the FM operators
and hopefully move them into weak signal modes?
4. Any suggestions on how to make this more of a learning tool for emergency
operations?

I plan to monitor the suggested simplex frequencies all day from my rover
vehicle using a high gain vertically polarized antenna. Obviously most contest
stations won't be able to change their polarity that easily, but still long
range contacts (for FM) should be possible during the event.

Any other suggestions welcome.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf