[VHFcontesting] 6m halo on a rover question

To: "'VHF Contesting Reflector'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 6m halo on a rover question
From: "Alex" <kr1st@amsat.org>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 13:06:40 -0400
Hello ya'll,

My wife and I are thinking of being a rover again for the June contest. I'm
trying to come up with some simple antennas for the new rover. No mast with
beams this time as it just takes too long to set up in the brutal heat of
June. I'm thinking of simple magmount antennas that I can slap on the roof
and be on the air in 10 minutes. I just finished building a 2m turnstile
dipole that sits just over a half wave of the roof. The 70cm antenna will
probably be something similar. The problem is 6 meters.

I have a halo that I could use on 6 meters, but I wonder how high it needs
to be off the roof. I know for the turnstiles it needs to be a half wave or
greater in order not to heat just the clouds. Does the same go for a halo?

I guess I could model it, but I'd rather ask the folks with experience. What
if the 6m halo is just 2 feet or so from the roof? Would that be a total
disaster?

I really would appreciate your thought on this.

73,
--Alex KR1ST
http://www.kr1st.com
http://www.airlinkexpress.org