Re: [VHFcontesting] grid circling

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] grid circling
From: "Nate Duehr" <nate@natetech.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 14:00:51 -0600
On Wed, 27 May 2009 12:49:55 -0700, "Scola Pete-R22172"
<Pete.Scola@freescale.com> said:

> Grid circling may be legal, but it does not meet the spirit of
> contesting or of Ham radio in any way. If you are not trying to work
> every station that you hear, from near and as far away as possible, than
> you are missing the boat. Grid Circling is simply manipulating the
> system to guarantee a huge score by manufacturing repetitive contacts
> within a small group of people. It's kind of like kissing your sister.
> You can do it, but it won't be any fun.

Apparently the groups doing it are having fun, or they'd have fallen
apart by now.

> Of course, here in Arizona we never (OK, rarely) see rovers of any kind
> anyway. Sigh...plaques are highly over rated anyway...I do it for the
> beer!

If there were a team rover "pack" wandering Arizona close enough to you
to work multiple bands with them, and they were NOT using HT's, but had
"real" stations -- and you knew they were circling and ALSO willing and
able to work your fixed station (where you're allowed to HAVE that beer,
I might add, and they're not -- roving sucks sometimes!)... would you
work them?

Or would you not work them because they're not operating in the "spirit"
of the contest?

If your so-called "spirit" of the contest is to "work as many stations
as possible" -- once again, the only thing that matters is the contest
sponsor's  STATED GOAL of the contest -- shouldn't you work them?  Would
you?

Or stated from the rover perspective:  "Oh dear, can the poor helpless
little rovers have your points oh big fixed station?  Please?"

The realization that many are trying to come to here is that Team Rover
packs DO NOT NEED the fixed stations to win.  Freaks a lot of fixed
stations out, doesn't it?

Nate WY0X
--
  Nate Duehr