[VHFcontesting] poll

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] poll
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 20:27:01 -0700
Well Nate, I’m unsure if that was 280 rovers or out of 280 responses. I may be
wrong on the exact percentage.  It is definitely unscientific and the poll had
other issues as well.
The problem I have is somewhat parallel in what you are talking about.  Grid
circling as a team where all the members are unlimited should be encouraged as
an alternative to what I do.    However when they pack rove in a caravan
working each other exclusively to beat what I do it alienates me and the others
like me.  I suppose we choose how much we feel alienated.   There needs to be a
fire wall between the two activities as their actions and goals are very
different.   There is a focus on servicing everyone vs. a self serving a
caravan all which produces QSOs and points.  Separate them and let the two
ideas compete freely of one another. I might even cross over and try it at that
point.

Right now there are 10 rovers who do not exclusively work themselves as a team
to every one that does.  That being said the group in California put brand new
hams on the air with borrowed equipment all from one guy.  How many of them
have built bought or used that gear outside of a caravan since?  And no I’m not
counting handy talkies. Is that not the goal?

Perhaps I need to play the same sort of games with the rules that brought us to
this point.  There are several loop holes I see that can be abused.  One group
really refined the loopholes ands convinced some its mainstream with all the
confusion over the complexity of the issues here.  Oh yeah I have morals….

I guess I need to dredge up the poll and see if there were 280 rovers who
answered or 280 people.