Re: [VHFcontesting] Win at all Cost mentality

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Win at all Cost mentality
From: Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 23:18:36 -0600
On May 27, 2009, at 7:28 PM, Christopher Burke wrote:

> http://commfaculty.fullerton.edu/woverbeck/rover.htm#jan09)

Did anyone else notice, as I did, that those "evil" people in those
photos look like they're having fun?  Goodness... now I see Frank's
point.  They shouldn't be allowed to do THAT!  LOL!

Actually, Carrie (the "evil" winner of the Limited Rover category with
a big score using only microwaves) looks like just the type of smart
person we should be recruiting to the Ham Radio ranks.  Even if she
didn't build her own station.   If she's a good OPERATOR, I'm not sure
what Frank's problem is being beat by her other than jealousy that she
has a friend who has enough money to outfit a team.

Aren't there a couple of "benefactors" at the big Multi-op FIXED
stations?  Hmmm... I can think of a couple of callsigns...

Anyway... If the ARRL thinks they'll run her or that team off with a
rules change, I bet they're wrong... but they'll still try, I
suppose.  Nothing like cutting off your nose in spite of your face.
Gotta keep up that anti-social image of Amateur Radio being a geeks-
only hobby where operators who can't build rigs from two twigs and a
stick of juicy fruit and a cat's whisker... aren't allowed to play.

Looking over their "timeline" on that web page, I see little
difference between their "build-up" over the years to larger team
activities (that pull in people from all walks of life) and the
stories I've heard about the largest fixed Multi-Op stations.

But of course, they're ROVERS having fun without the NEED for FIXED
stations.  My God!  That must be STOPPED!  Sacrilege!

* For the humor-challenged, yes, that's sarcasm folks.  A lot of it
anyway.  Hopefully funny for those with their priorities straight.

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
nate@natetech.com