Re: [VHFcontesting] Rovers Unite For the "Youth" of our Hobby

To: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rovers Unite For the "Youth" of our Hobby
From: "Mike (KA5CVH) Urich" <ka5cvh@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 12:14:49 -0500
On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe there are only a limited number of people who are destined to get
> excited about radio. It seemed that way back in 1964, too. We just have to
> find them.

Mike wrote

I would agree.  That's why we keep trying everything.  PSK gathered
some interest but only from a few who also just might run Linux for an
O/S.  Airmail gathered a few more than PSK but those probably don't
have a lot of depth to get interested enough to get licensed.  I just
would not put a lot of faith in the digital modes to attract the
masses.  We've found that talking across town on a wide-area machine
is just about as exciting as working 2000 miles on 20 meters.  BTW
across town is 40-50 miles.

--
Mike Urich, KA5CVH
http://ka5cvh.com