[VHFcontesting] Distance and Bearing Program

To: stonedmonkey@yahoogroups.com, WeLCARS <WeLCARS@yahoogroups.com>, VHFDistanceScoring@yahoogroups.com, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Distance and Bearing Program
From: Christopher Burke <chris@n9yh.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 22:54:00 -0500
Greetings all!  I'm going to try my best Billy Mays impression in an e-mail
:-)

Ever had to point your microwave antenna directly at someone, but they
didn't know their 6-digit Grid Square?  Or maybe they did, but you couldn't
translate that to a direction in your head?  Ever wish there was a better
way?

Well, now there is!

Introducing the N9YH Distance and Bearing Program 1.0!  Now, this may not be
the next best thing since OxyClean or Orange Glo, nor does it slice, dice,
or make even a single julienne fry, but here's what it calculate distance,
bearing (both directions), and 6-digit Maidenhead Grid Square based on:

GRID SQUARE: The center of any 4- or 6-digit square
LATITUDE AND LONGITUDE: Pretty self explanatory...
ZIP CODE or US CITY, STATE: Thanks to the US Census Bureau, you can get the
6-digit grid square and lat/lon of as well as distance and heading to most
US cities with NO INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED.  That's right, folks - you
too can get the 6-digit grid square and bearing to such exotic locales as
Pahrump, NV, Dousman, WI, Slaughters, KY, and Fox Lake, IL even when you're
operating out in the bush.

Download it free from http://www.stonedmonkey.org/downloads.htm

System Requirements:
Microsoft .NET version 2.0.

Windows Vista users: Vista came with .NET 3.0, so you should be good to go.

Windows XP users: You probably have it.  Check under "Add/Remove Programs"
if you're not sure.  Or download it from here: http://www.microsoft.com/NET/

Windows 98/NT/2000/Me users: Yes, Virginia, this should even work for you.
Go here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa731542.aspx

Linux and Mac users: It _might_ work if you try the Mono Project.  I haven't
been able to test it, nor was I able to learn GTK# in time to have this done
by the contest, but I intentionally used .NET 2.0 to give you the best
chance of getting it to work.  You can get the Mono Project here:
http://mono-project.com/Main_Page (sorry W1RT and other Linux fans - this
was the best I could do with the time I had)

Hopefully at least one of you out there finds it useful :-).  If you find
any bugs, or feel the need to either pat me on the back or flame me, drop me
a line at chris@n9yh.com.

Thanks and 73!
Chris N9YH

--