Re: [VHFcontesting] VUCC & Logbook of the World at last?

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VUCC & Logbook of the World at last?
From: "Richard Clem" <clem.law@usa.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:49:04 -0500
Just a minor nitpick--

You do not need a separate _certificate_ for different grids.  You only need a
separate _certificate_ for a different callsign.  The new certificate for a
different callsign is quite easy to get (unlike the original certificate,
which involves the postcard, etc.)

In my case, I have one certificate for W0IS, and other certificates for
different callsigns, such as W0IS/R, W0IS/VE3, etc.  Getting the first one for
W0IS involves the postcard, and is a little bit of a hassle.  I forget the
exact procedure, but getting the new ones for different calls is quite easy.

After you have a certificate, then you need to create "locations" for use with
each certificate.  Each location can have a different combination of grid
squares, states, CQ zones, ITU zones, etc.

You can include counties, six digit grids, etc., but this is not necessary.

In my case, having done some roving, I have one "location" set up for EN34 in
Minnesota, and another location set up for EN34 in Wisconsin.  If I was lazy,
I could even have just set it up for EN34 with no state specified.  Then, I
would be a valid contact if someone worked me for VUCC, but not for WAS.

Setting up new locations is very easy.  So if you operate portable from
somewhere, you can easily upload the correct information.  You just create a
new location at the time that you are "signing" a log.

Again, you don't need to include all of the information.  For example, if you
are roving at various locations in a grid, you can upload all of them as the
same "location", even though, for example, your county might change.  You just
leave the county blank.

I figure if some county hunter wants that county, I can later re-upload it, or
just send him a paper QSL.

As with many things on LOTW, actually doing it is quite easy, although they
have it set up so that it sounds too complicated.  It's easier than it sounds.
 Really!

Incidentally, uploading rover logs is quite easy.  If I've been in more than
one grid, I save the Cabrillo file with five different file names, such as
VHFContestEN34, VHFContestEN35, etc.  Then, I just go through each file and
delete all of the QSO's that are not from that grid.  You don't have to worry
about the other lines, such as claimed score, etc., since they are ignored.

Then, I "sign" each of the new files, using the "location" for that grid.
Then, I upolad each of the .tq8 files.

I do not bother specifying the county, CQ zone, ITU zone, six digit grid, etc.
 I assume that for most VHF contacts, all the other guy needs is the state and
grid.

73,
Rick W0IS
EN34, county available upon request.  :-)

.and to add to the post below, you'll need a?unique certificate for any
different grid you operate from; especially important for rovers.? It's not
difficult to do, but absolutely necessary.
?
Tom Hybiske, K3GM

<<<<<<<