[VHFcontesting] CQWW VHF report

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] CQWW VHF report
From: Bob Mantell <k4esa@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 04:11:17 -0700 (PDT)
Sent this out earlier, but I guess I had too many folks on the receiving end
and some got bounced

Plans changed at last minute, and I was only able to work from two grids, EM74
and EM73.  I  worked on picking up and building my new tower for the house
rather than setting up the RoverMobile.

Only two DX grids on 6M for me, FK68 and FM72 , missed  the Sunday morning
action during setup at Pine Mt Cobb County Ga site in EM73

Counts

EM74  37 Qs Sat:  6M 26/9 grids  2M 11/5 grids
EM73  31 Qs Sun: 6M 16/8 grids  2M 15/8  grids

Log says 2820 Pt's  Not sure how that stacks up for this contest as it was my
first time.

Bummers:

Missed Sunday opening to VEs and Northeast.

Worked no stations to/from NE from either site after hearing K1TOL, K1WHS and
others for big parts of the 18 hours I worked the contest........Yes, that was
me calling you guys last night and this morning. I guess I'm going to need a
bigger antenna! And more power!

Did not get to work any real rovers like N1LF.

Did not get to stop by the W4NH site to see how the the folks that have been at
it a while operate, and why they can contact K1TOL and K1WHS :-)
(Yes, I know the answer is higher antenna+better feedline+more gain+ legal
limit output)

High points of contest:

Setting up at Mel's place with my 857 and Yagis, and getting raisin pancakes
for brunch.

Working 2 meters on Sunday with W4AMP, K1KC, W4QWZ, K4SME and others. Lots of
fun making contacts around 144.200+/- SSB.

Plus the EM70 QSO with Ken, AC4TO on 6 M.  This is still new enough to me that
a 253 mile chat on 6m anytime you want to is thrilling and fun!  Note: I am
only running 100 watts and 5 elements on a 13 foot boom on 6. I am glad Ken has
good equipment!

Worked EM80 from both grids on 6M plus 2M from EM73, a 270+ mile contact with
40-50 watts on 2. Should have got them on both bands both days but the 6 meter
op did not understand I wanted to move up to 2m the first time.

 And I had a 200+ miler to EM66 on 2 meter that moved down to 6!.  I am very
happy with those contacts on my "doesnotreallyworkforssb" CC13Boomer yagi,
under not the best band conditions.

IF we just had some six and two meter SSB nets near  north GA so we could use
our VHF gear more.

Good news is I now have 48 feet of tower bolted together in the yard and a 31
element 432 to go on top......Looking forward to Aug UHF event

Maybe I could find a 222 SSB transverter in time...... or get some 1296
gear........and.....

73 de Bob,

 K4ESA EM74qc

Bob Mantell