Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] UHF contest question

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] UHF contest question
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:46:43 -0500
What the FCC says is different from what people use in practice. A key or
keyer is still the cheapest, simplest and most energy-conservative method of
"digital" communication available.

I have said before that I have enough trouble getting equipment and antennas
for 10 (maybe 11 or 12 soon) bands into a Toyota Corolla for a portable
operation and don't bother to take the laptop with me. It uses a lot of
energy anyway and for a 24+ hour operation I need to conserve battery as
much as possible. In the June contest my battery was down to 11 volts at
contest end. The laptop would've reduced that considerably. I log on paper
and transfer to computer when I get home.

On the microwave bands, using CW is a "given." I usually don't even connect
the mic to the microwave IF rig.

I guess if you really want the QSO's and the points, you learn Morse or at
least get a computer program that can hopefully decipher what someone else
is sending and will send Morse for you.

Maybe one of these years I'll get a generator and try WSJT in one of the
contests. Meanwhile, listen for me on either SSB or CW. Or FM if you're a
local and I'm bored.
:-)

73, Zack W9SZ