[VHFcontesting] EME follow up

To: <aa5jg@yahoo.com>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] EME follow up
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 08:18:57 -0700

As I learned from researching this over the last week, The chances of randomly
finding another station you can not hear with your ear on a vfo are insanely
small.

>From my experience, I can make random meteor contacts when I hear with my ear
>on a vfo.  For each one of those there is 10 more contacts tat are made 20 db
>below the noise floor. That being I might hear a guy on a big ping and zero in
>on him to complete.

Really the true assistance is the Joe Taylor software, not a web page.

The web page is virtually the same thing as many in the EME community and the
general contest community already does.  That is pre set schedules via phone,
email or snail mail correspondence.  The removal of the assisted class only
means the stations have to be more prepared by corresponding to other known
stations well in advance.

At least by participating in the assisted class, one is admitting to pre
arranged QSOs via real time skeds.  Without it some of the opps are now posting
big scores via phone skeds or mail skeds for "assistance" and are using WSJT
for "Assistance".

The solution seems simple.

The elite of the elite:  Class 1 Unassisted (no skeds in any form) CW or SSB.

The Next tier down: Class 2 Partially Assisted (digital modes, no skeds in any
form)

The next tier down: Class 3 Assisted (Digital modes and skeds in any form)

Otherwise some of the elite out there are just choosing some player used
“steroids” while ignoring others to compete in the exclusive class they have
now formed.