Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover/EMCOMM Vehicle Visibility

To: "'Les Rayburn'" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover/EMCOMM Vehicle Visibility
From: "Eugene Zimmerman" <ezimmerm@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:10:26 -0400
Hi Les

This is wonderful information for emergency vehicles. But not so good for
rovers.

Rovers need to obey the law - emergency vehicles sometimes do not. For
instance if your rover operates essentially only when it is stopped, or even
if you are a run and shoot rover who occasionally stops, it is ABSOLUTELY
incumbent on you to get your rover off the road as far as you can and in any
case far enough that NO part of the vehicle or the antennas you use is on or
over a travelled road. Then there is no reason to worry about being hit
unless some drunk runs off the road and hits you. And then no amount of
markings will help.

Secondly you should make your rover as inconspicuous as possible. That can't
be the case for a run and shoot rover but a rover that stops and sets up can
often have the antennas collapsed to the point that from a distance it looks
like a few bags of oats for the family horse or some fertilzer for the
garden. I guarantee you will be hassled by the authorities who know nothing
of amateur radio or roving. If you are in a car covered with neon stipes and
you are wearing a yellow safety vest, what are you going to do when you are
approached by the local sheriff? If you tell him that you are an emergency
vehicle he is first going to ask what emergency and then ask for
identification - as an emergency vehicle - and second he can't be faulted if
he thinks you are not playing with a full deck of cards. In the latter he is
correct as many rovers including me will tell you. I don't know about
Alabama and the Florida panhandle but I'll bet law enforcement officers are
very wary of folks they think are crazy. He may be looking for the target on
your back. :-)

Brian the Rover ND3F/N3IQ is probably the expert on dealing with authorities
and how to avoid a bad outcome from such encounters. I'd suspect ND2F/5
knows more than anyone else about authorities for a run and shoot rover -
how to dress, how to pull completely off road, what to say, etc. But making
the rover vehicle any more conspicuous than it already is and wearing
clothing that is - to be nice - odd is probably a good way to get on the
wrong side of the authorities.

73  Gene  W3ZZ