Re: [VHFcontesting] Contacts using 'Light'

To: "VHFContesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Contacts using 'Light'
From: "David Erickson" <erickson+vhf@mentis.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:46:00 -0500 (EST)

I'm not an expert on part 97 by any means but from what I've read i'm
pretty sure that any frequency over 275ghz can be used by any license
amateur. So as far as light emissions go you do not need to technically
worry about being in compliance; however, In order to tell what frequency
of laser you are using the easiest way is to use a photo-detector that has
a light filter for the frequency you are looking for whether it be an IR
frequency or red, blue or green laser.  As far as VHF contesting and field
goes, there is no need to report what frequency the laser or light
emissions were at when the contact was made.  For field day it is
legitimate to make a contact with another operator from your field day
site for points.  I've never made a laser contact during a VHF contest
before but not to say it wouldn't be a valid contact.  I am definitely
interested in doing long distance laser contacts though.

73's,
Dave W3DIO